RESCUE ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH AT 52, HRISTO BOTEV BLVD.

Resume

The rescue archaeological research at 52 ,Hristo Botev Blvd. gives the opportunity to make some con clusions: the terrain remains away from built-up urban area until the late 18th century. The artifacts from the 4th – 6th century. (figs. 6.1-9; 7.1-6) and from the 12th century. (fig. 7.7-9) discovered there are not to be relevant to the structures registered within the frames of the investigated plot. A riverbed has been revealed in its eastern part running from south to north. It contained Ottoman coins dating from the 15th and 16th century. (fig. 10.4-6). In the late 18th – early 19th century. an urban dung-hill was organized on the western floodplain terrace comprising the main amount of the pottery fragments discovered (fig. 8.1-10). About the mid 19th century. the river was drained up. Probably the rising groundwater in wet weather forced the residents nearby to construct fords of massive stone. In the second half of the 19th c. the terrain was covered with soil. Thus, archaeological materials found there were imported along with the soil from some other place (figs. 9.1-8; 10.1-3). Almost at the same time a flimsy structure made of adobe appeared there as well as a narrow street paved with stone, oriented east – west and leading to the central part of Sofia. In the 20th century. the eastern sector of the terrain remained within the inner yard of a massive build ing deeply rooted in the western part of the plot. Once again in the 20th and early 21st century. some new deep diggings and backfilling of the terrain were undertaken which additionally complicate the interpretation of the archaeological material. Despite the lack of cultural layers until the time of the Revival, the archaeological research contributes to the early history of Sofia.

Authors:
Alexander Stanev
Regional Historical Museum - Sofia 1, Banski square, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
alexander.stanev@gmail.com

Vladislav Todorov
vladislavtodorov@abv.bg

Emilia Evtimova
National Institute of Archaeology with Museum – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences,
2, Saborna Str, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria ema_ev@abv.bg
ema_ev@abv.bg

DOWNLOAD AND VIEW THE PUBLICATION OF HERE